Building or renovating
Food service establishments that are new or extensively altered must make arrangements to have plans reviewed prior to construction, alteration or use of the facility. Factors considered during this review include:
- Separation of the proposed facility from private living quarters
- Toilet and hand-washing facilities
- Kitchen layout, including food preparation and dish washing areas
- Connections for water and sewer service (either public utilities or private sewage disposal)
- Location of food service equipment
- Proper lighting, ventilation and grease control
Each submission must be accompanied by a completed Plan Application Form and the required plan review fee, which is $150. Three complete sets of plans and two additional sets of plumbing plans — all full-size sheets — are needed.
Plan drawings can be submitted to Ted Talley, Environmental Health Manager, Northern Kentucky Health Department, 8001 Veterans Memorial Drive, Florence, KY 41042.
Final steps before opening
New establishments or those that have been renovated should follow these steps after plans have been reviewed or approved:
Two weeks prior to opening
- Notify Health Department of projected opening date. Contact Ted Talley at 859-363-2027. Provide establishment contact information so assigned inspector may coordinate opening inspection.
- Complete application for permit and pay appropriate fee.
- Arrange for staff to take food managers certification class.
Three to five days prior to opening
- Schedule opening inspection. All construction must be completed with required agency approval, including plumbing, building inspector, fire marshal, etc.
- Establishment must be free of construction material and debris.
- All kitchen equipment must be installed and operating properly.
- Establishment must be stocked and ready to operate.
- No critical violations and only minimal non-critical violations must be found during the opening food inspection.
One to two days prior to opening
- A follow-up inspection will occur, if needed. The inspector will verify correction of critical and non-critical violations.
For more information on plan review or other steps required to open a new food service establishment or renovate an existing facility, please contact Ted Talley or call 859-363-2027.