Retail Food


Any place selling pre-packaged, manufactured items is considered a retail food outlet. This includes:

  • Grocery stores
  • Convenience stores
  • Concession stands

Permits and fees

All food service establishments are required to have a food permit in order to operate.

In addition to completing the food permit application, those operating an establishment must also pay an annual food permit fee.

Size Food Permit Fee
1,000 square feet or fewer $90
1,001 to 10,000 square feet $155
10,001 to 20,000 square feet $215
20,001 to 30,000 square feet $250
More than 30,000 square feet $375

More information

If you have questions about food permits, please contact the Health Department or call 859-341-4151.

Opening a new food service establishment