Food Service Establishments


Any place in which food is prepared for sale or service on the premises or elsewhere with or without charge is considered a food service establishment this includes:

  • Restaurants
  • Coffee shops
  • Soda fountains
  • Bars/taverns
  • Cocktail lounges
  • Night clubs
  • Catering kitchens
  • Cafeterias
  • Tea rooms
  • Grills
  • Luncheonettes

Permits and fees

All food service establishments are required to have a food permit in order to operate.

In addition to completing the food permit application, those operating an establishment must also pay an annual food permit fee.

Size Fees
0 seats $100
25 seats or fewer $160
26-50 seats $200
51-100 seats $225
101-200 seats $250
More than 200 seats $275


Note: The seating number is based upon the actual number of seats present at the establishment that are regularly offered for use by patrons. Optional outdoor seating is not counted, but outdoor seating where customers are seated and served is counted.

Additional Fees
Drive-through window $125
Catering $110

More information

If you have questions about food permits, please contact the Health Department or call 859-341-4151.

Opening a new food service establishment