In Northern Kentucky, all food service establishments must have a certified food manager on duty at all times.
The Health Department provides regular food managers certification classes to assist local food service establishments in meeting this requirement.
About the classes
Food manager classes are held at Indiana Wesleyan University, 600 Meijer Drive, Suite 200, Florence, KY, 41042. A printer-friendly version of class information can be found here.
Schedule and fees
- 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. on the second Monday of each month, fee $100
- 3:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m. on the second Monday of each month, fee $100
- 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month, fee $100
Please note the changes effective August 1, 2019: updated Food Manager Certification class fees, updated class schedule and discontinuation of re-certification classes.
Preparing for the class
Attendees must register in advance by filling out an application.
Once the application has been processed, attendees will receive a confirmation and study guide from the Health Department. Please do not attend a class unless you have received this confirmation.
Attendees are asked to arrive on time. If an attendee is more than 30 minutes late for a class, he/she will need to reschedule and repay the fee.
No lunch hour will be provided. Breaks will be permitted, and vending machines are available.
- If cancellation is necessary, you must notify Sheila Edwards at 859-341-4151, ext.2245, at least 24 hours prior to class in order to reschedule or send a substitute. Please leave a message during weekends or after hours. Failure to do so will result in a forfeiture of the class and associated fees. In such cases, applicants must reapply and repay the fee.
- Please do not send a substitute unless you have notified this office with their information and who they will be replacing.
- Additionally, please do not attend a class unless you have received a confirmation and study guide from the health department regarding the date and class you are to attend.
This certification is available for food service workers who have successfully completed food safety training that meets the Health Department’s requirements within the last three years. This may include ServSafe Manager Certification, Experior Assessment and the National Registry of Certified Food Professionals — if taken and passed within the last 3 years.
If an applicant meets the requirements for substitute certification, class attendance is not required, but an application and fee must be submitted — $30. A copy of the substitute training certificate must accompany the application and fee.
Please Note: Most online courses for food manager’s certification are NOT accepted by the Health Department.
For questions, please contact Sheila Edwards or call 859-341-4151 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
For a printer-friendly version of this information, click here.