Search Button
Divider Home Button

Services menu image

HIV/AIDS Services

HIV testing
Condom distribution
HIV/AIDS case management

Healthy Relationships
The Health Department is offering an interactive program for gay men living with HIV disease. Healthy Relationships consists of five, two-hour sessions to learn about the stress of living with HIV and how to deal with it. You do not have to be  a client of the Health Department to attend. If you are interested in participating, please call Bob Ford at 859.363.2085.

HIV testing

Text your ZIP code to KnowIt or 566948 to find out about HIV testingThe only way to find out if you are infected with HIV is to get tested. The Health Department provides anonymous and confidential HIV testing and counseling, with results available during your visit.

Confidential testing means you have to give your name to get tested. Anonymous testing means your name is not connected to the HIV test and results are not recorded in your medical record.

To get tested, schedule an appointment at one of the county health centers,  schedule an appointment online or visit a testing event, listed below.

 Book an appointment with Adaptavant at Ascendas using SetMore

Special testing events

Regularly scheduled testing events:

Couples testingMale couple hugging
It can very difficult to talk to the ones we are closest to about HIV. Getting tested together is a great way to have that conversation and learn about your status at the same time. Couples testing is for any persons who define themselves as a couple, not limited to legally married partners. Couples testing is also confidential as you and your partner will agree to share private medical information only with each other.  A counselor will administer the HIV test for each of you and discuss how you as a couple will address the results and support healthy decisions for each other. Couples  testing is by appointment only.  Please call Bob Ford at 859.363.2085 or email at for your appointment.

If you have questions about rapid HIV testing, please call 859.363.2085.

If your test is reactive, you will have to have a blood test to confirm the HIV infection. Health Department staff will provide the confirmatory testing and help link you to medical care and case management services.

For additional testing sites, visit the National HIV Testing Resources page to search for testing sites by ZIP Code.

Condom distribution
View a list of Northern Kentucky locations distributing free condoms.

Pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP, is a way for people who do not have HIV but who are at substantial risk of getting it to prevent HIV infection by taking a pill every day. The pill (brand name Truvada) contains two medicines (tenofovir and emtricitabine) that are used in combination with other medicines to treat HIV.

If you are interested in PrEP, talk to your primary care doctor or family doctor.  If she or he is unwilling to provide PrEP, contact the PrEP clinic at University of Cincinnati at 513.475.8585 to schedule an appointment. No referral is required.

PrEP locator: A national database of US PrEP providers can help you find PrEP in your area.

PrEP research study
A PrEP study will be opening in the winter of 2017 at the University of Cincinnati. If you are a man who has sex with men or transgender woman and are HIV negative, over the age of 18 and living in the Cincinnati Tri-State area, and you are interested in being contacted when this study opens, please call Jaasiel at 513.584.6279.

HIV/AIDS case management
HIV/AIDS case management services provide support, stabilization and referrals to community resources for persons living with HIV/AIDS and members of their households. Services are available to those living in the counties of Boone, Campbell, Carroll, Grant, Gallatin, Kenton, Owen and Pendleton. Services include: Short-term crisis counseling, housing and utility assistance, assistance with drugs and medicine, dental care, health insurance, transportation, nutritional guidance, links to support groups and volunteers, assistance in obtaining a medical doctor, and referrals for specialized counseling, food, housing and other community services. Learn more.